The kick start race of all kick start races !



 The kick start race of all kick start races ! Ok maybe that's a  bit of a stretch  but hey! I was out riding today on  my Triumph TT600 sport bike . It was a nice day  . As I  rode I started to think of a bike rally I went  too years ago . Compare  to my fuel injected TT600 my old 1948 Panhead  was from a different world all together .It was kick starter only .

  At most bike rallies there are events. Tub pulls  , ride the plank , the hot dog catch , beer chug slow race ext .And of course the kick start race. How it works is simple . The one who  starts there  bike the most times in one minute wins . And I was in !


 So about 20 bikes line up . All kinds,  sportsters triumphs  blockheads shovel heads  and a few others . And of course  my 48 Panhead . On the far end was  purple shovel head  with twin Dellorto carbs . This bike would be my rival for the day . Now the rider was a guy who must have weigh  350lbs . It might have been easier for him to come down on the kicker but I was younger . Yip I had youth on my side .There were  moderator  counters for each bike .

 The first relay we all get ready . The ref yells " Lady's and gentlemen and scumbags start your engines " .  A symphony of engines roar to life . I started my bike  but when I turned the key  off  the bikes engine was still rolling .And when I turned the key back  on the bike started up on its own . This  happened to a few  bikes . The  trick is to  let the  bike  engine completely stop  before trying to start again . Most of the  bikes got two or  three starts before  the bikers flooded there  bikes . We hit the one minute mark and the stop is called by the ref . I did seven starts . The purple shovel head  did eleven . And now there were ten  bikers left .

  The  ten bikes  are now ready for the next race. The others push there flooded bikes to the side . I look over at the shiny clean prestige shovel head and think " Who does he think he is ? With his fancy  dual carburetors  . I have a Linkert  carb ! "  They were a good carb for starting   . It could be the middle of January and one kick and it would start. They did run vary rich thou . But  this was the carb to have for starting .

  The ref yells  again " Lady's and gentlemen  , wait ? Who are we kidding your all scumbags ! Start your engines "   A few bikes light up with a roar. Two flood right  away . Ive got it  down to a science .  I start the bike kick after kick  . Few more bikes flood and one guy gives up. We are now down to three .  "Ten seconds left " Yells the ref .  I get two more starts in  then " Times up !" We tally up the score . I think I got this one .


  Panhead  7

Shovelhead 12

DAM YOU SHOVELHEAD AND  YOUR DUAL CARBS!

Was a fun race . Ride well ride safe take care .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five bad ass  movie bikes !

Keep your dang feet on the pegs . Watch for Smurfs !