140KM (80 MPH) Harley rider !

Back in 1995 I bought a 1948 Harley panhead. I road the crap out of it . I would open the throttle from time to time on it sure! But I mostly  just putted along at the speed limit . Now we all know Harley's are torque monsters . My pan was no exception .  From light to light it was just a blast of frenzy . Being a chopper  gave me the advantage  off the line for sure, well most of the time. What a great machine . So much fun .  I would ride  the speed limit 99% of the time  . I would see new road kings  1340cc  they would be  going slower  for the most part. On the highway  some guys would ride 110km - 120km for a bit then slow to 90-100 kms  . This was the trend at the time . Of course there was always the guy doing 140kms everywhere , but he was not the norm. I would here fellow Harley riders time after time complain   about how guys on crotch rockets were always riding too fast . "Take it too the track" they would say. " No reason to be riding that fast , whats wrong with the speed limit" ?

 Fast forward 20 years . I no longer have my beloved panhead sweetie ( the 1948 Harley ) . I now  ride  a sport bike . Most of the  time  I ride the speed limit. Ill open the throttle from time to time as well. Riding around now I notice a new tend . It seems every time  I'm  out I see all kinds of  bikes but  the Harley riders are going like bats out of hell lol.  There almost always doing 140kms (80mph) .The newer  Harley's have  bigger engines  over 1500ccs  I believe, so I can see the , no replacement for displacement  argument .  Harley riders seem to have changed from  just putting along to  hot rodding it everywhere.  I know lots of  super sport riders are riding too fast as well , but I find it strange to see the Harley crowd going  that fast everywhere. Not judging just saying.

  In closing ill say this , I like my sport bike  ,its great on corners and fast on the straits .  I bought that  bike  for the handling . If I really want to see what it will do ill take it to the track. The other animal (my 48 panhead) It could go over 160kms  sure but I  bought it to see the countryside . Yes have fun  but  I look at it like this , your on a comfy bike  that gets  good mileage  enjoy the ride. No rush no worry . So the trade off is this  fun at 140kms  or see more of the countryside . How ever you chose to  ride be safe .I use to love just putting along watching  the cows and I still do. Ride safe ride well  take care.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Five bad ass  movie bikes !

Keep your dang feet on the pegs . Watch for Smurfs !